History of the Church Organs at St. James' Church Little Clacton
In November 1861 Sir Stephen Glynn mentions an organ in the gallery. The next mention was in 1898 when the accounts record the organist was paid £1 a quarter.
In 1899 Gildersleeve of Bury St. Edmunds cleaned the organ and in 1903 Speechley and Son tuned and regulated it.
In1904 a bill from Mr.Beard states ‘to out of pocket expenses to cure cypherings 15/6’.
In 1905, N and B repaired the bellows and 1906 Thomas Jones, Upper Holloway fixed new rods to swell pedal and lined and repaired it. By 1909 the organ was looked after by Bedwell, a Cambridge organ works with a branch in Bournemouth.
If this was the same organ as in 1861 it must have been in a poor state as a fund was started in 1917 for cleaning. In 1919 Mr. Bedwell was asked for estimates. Whether this work was done is not known but in 1937 the PCC thought another new or good second hand organ should be bought.
In 1939 the accounts record that a deposit of £100 was paid to Bedwell and Son as a deposit and in April that a final payment of £60 was paid.